Catarrh is a common condition but can be described as a number of different things, such as:
- The feeling of mucus at the back of your nose
- A build-up of phlegm in your throat
- A continuous desire to clear your throat
Most people will experience catarrh as a symptom of the common cold, which alleviates quite quickly, but others can suffer from it more persistently and for several years at a time. Chronic catarrh can feel like constantly having a cold without any of the other usual symptoms.
Two types of catarrh have been identified:
- An excess of mucus that runs out of your nose (rhinitis)
- A sensation of an excess of mucus that you are unable to clear from your nose or throat.