What are the causes of Heart Rhythm problems?
Heart arrhythmias occur when electrical impulses coordinating your heartbeats don’t work properly, causing your heart to either beat too fast, too slow or irregularly.
Heart rhythm problems may feel like fluttering or racing of the heart. Sometimes it may be harmless, but other times these heart rhythm problems can cause signs and symptoms, sometimes life threatening.
- Bradycardia- slow heart rate
- Atrial Fibrillation (AF)
- AV nodal re-entry tachycardia (AVNRT)
- AV re-entry tachycardia (AVRT)
- Atrial Tachycardia (AT)
- Ventricular Tachycardia (VT)
Symptoms of Heart Rhythm problems
There may not be any signs or symptoms of heart rhythm problems, but sometimes noticeable heart rhythm problem symptoms may include:
- Fluttering in your chest
- Racing heart (tachycardia)
- Slow heart (bradycardia)
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
Risks of Heart Rhythm Problems
There are certain factors that may increase the risk of developing heart rhythm problems including:
- Coronary artery disease or any other heart problems or previous surgery
- High blood pressure
- Congenital heart disease
- Thyroid problems
- Taking over-the-counter drugs or supplements
- Obstructive sleep apnoea
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Caffeine or nicotine use
Preventing and Treating Heart Rhythm problems
Living a healthy lifestyle can help to reduce your risk of heart disease. This includes:
- Eating a balanced diet
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid drinking caffeine and alcohol
- Keeping a healthy weight
- Reducing stress
- Take over-the-counter medications with caution including cold and cough medications
Heart Rhythm Problems Specialists
If you have been experiencing palpitations, an irregular heart rhythm, fluttering in the chest or have been told you need a heart rhythm/rate monitor then OneWelbeck Heart Health are able to provide a mail-order service. To find out more about this service, please visit our remote heart monitor page here.
To speak with a specialist about Heart Rhythm Problems, contact our team today.
We are available from Monday to Friday: 8am – 8pm.