Find information on how we’re keeping you safe from COVID-19 here
Dr Mark Vanderpump
- Specialist expertise: Common and rare thyroid disorders, reproductive endocrinology, particularly polycystic ovary syndrome, Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Dr Mark Vanderpump has a special interest in people with thyroid conditions and participates in a thyroid multidisciplinary meeting twice a month to discuss individual cases
- He also sees patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes and is experienced in treating patients with diabetes who have kidney problems, including those on dialysis or who have had kidney transplants.
Dr Veronica Greener
- Specialist expertise: investigation & management of endocrine conditions; type 2 diabetes, pituitary, adrenal, parathyroid disease and genetic endocrine disorders.
- Dr Greener, who trained at Barts, one of the most internationally renowned centres for endocrinology, is an expert in the diagnosis and the cure of hormone imbalance and diseases.
- She has clinical experience in Bariatric Medicine, working closely with bariatric surgeons and collaborating in clinical trials leading to publications in the Lancet.
“I joined OneWelbeck to work with colleagues who were experts in their respective fields, and work somewhere our patients know they are genuinely seeing a specialist.”
Professor Shern Chew
- Specialist expertise: endocrine disorders
- Professor Chew was previously Professor of Endocrine Medicine at St Bartholomew’s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry.
- His publications include: research papers, textbook chapters and textbooks, including Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes
Dr Shivani Misra
- Specialist Expertise: Type 1 and type 2 diabetes, rarer genetic forms and unusual presentations of diabetes.
- She is recognised as a leading influencer in diabetes, and was named European Young Scientist of the Year 2017, by the International Diabetes Federation.
- She also received the Future Leader Mentorship Award from the European Federation for the Study of Diabetes, that same year.
- Dr Misra was awarded a PhD in classifying diabetes subtype from Imperial College London, in 2017, where she is now an honorary research fellow, and active in the postgraduate and undergraduate teaching programmes.
Dr Scott Akker
- Specialist expertise: All aspects of Endocrinology (excluding diabetes) with a particular focus on disorders of adrenal, pituitary, thyroid and parathyroid. This includes all aspects of endocrine tumour and cancer management and all aspects of endocrine replacement as well as a focus on the causes and management of endocrine hypertension.
- Dr Scott Akker is a Consultant in the world-renowned Endocrinology Unit at St Bartholomew’s Hospital and an Honorary Clinical Reader in Endocrinology at Queen Mary, University of London.
- His busy endocrine practice includes weekly multi-disciplinary team meetings for tumours of the adrenal, pituitary, thyroid and parathyroid in addition to specialist clinics for these conditions.
Dr Andrew Bates
- Specialist expertise: Thyroid disease, Overactive thyroid disorders, Hyper and hypothyroidism, Osteoporosis, Calcium disorders, Parathyroid disease, Bone disease, Pituitary disease, Hirsutism, PCOS, Diabetes Mellitus, Hormone tests.
- Dr Bates is a busy full-time Consultant Endocrinologist/Diabetologist with a strong interest in all of the main areas of endocrinology and diabetes, having built up considerable experience over more than 20 years as a consultant.
- Dr Bates has always maintained a patient focused clinical role, with excellent feedback from patients and colleagues. He has been a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians since 2003 and is a member of the Society for Endocrinology, European Endocrine Society and Diabetes (UK).
- Despite his busy clinical role, he continues to publish research in respected peer reviewed journals and participate in national and international conferences.
Mr Tom Kurzawinski
- Specialist expertise: Endocrine surgery (thyroid, parathyroid pancreatic, and adrenal surgery), diagnosis and surgical treatment of adults and children with diseases of the endocrine glands, pancreatic, gall bladder, biliary and liver surgery, general surgery including hernia surgery and acute surgical admissions, minimally invasive surgery
- Mr Tom Kurzawinski currently holds positions at University College London Hospitals, NHS Foundation Trust, GOSH, The Royal Free
- He is also an author of many articles in medical journals and book chapters.
Dr Candy Sze
- Specialist expertise
- Dr Candy Wing-Chiu Sze (MBBS, BSc, MRCP, PhD) is a consultant at St Bartholomew’s Hospital.
“I joined OneWelbeck as they have allowed consultants autonomy to develop a service that we think will benefit patients care and experience. The team at Welbeck is very responsive and accepting of ideas to drive the service forward.”
Professor Fausto Palazzo
Consultant Endocrine Surgeon
- Specialist expertise: Thyroid goitre benign and malignant, hyperparathyroidism – primary and tertiary, adrenal tumours
- Professor Fausto Palazzo is clinical lead of the UK’s largest department of thyroid and endocrine surgery
- Professor Palazzo teaches undergraduates and surgeons in training on thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal surgery, he edited a surgical training manual and is the author of numerous book chapters
Dr Julian Waung
- Specialist expertise: Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine
- Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology at the Whittington Hospital, London.
- Dr Waung has set up a clinic at Whittington Health to treat the largest group of patient in the UK with Beta Thalassaemia major (a rare inherited red blood cell disorder).
I have a great deal of professional respect and have enjoyed working with most of the members of the Endocrinology group during my NHS practice. OneWelbeck offers the chance to co-create an outstanding outpatient service in a great location.
Professor Maralyn Druce
- Specialist expertise: Endocrine disorders, Pituitary disorders, Thyroid disorders / surgery, Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS / PCO), Adrenal disease, Calcium disorders, Neuroendocrinology, Endocrine oncology
- Professor Druce was awarded a Wellcome Trust clinical research training fellowship, and obtained a PhD in physiology under Professor Steve Bloom, Imperial College.
- She is Professor of Endocrine Medicine at Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry and Consultant in Endocrinology at Barts Health NHS Trust.
Our Supporting Clinicians
Nutritional Therapists - Baldo & Mason
Roberta Baldo and Caroline Mason are Registered Nutritional Therapists at OneWelbeck Digestive Surgery.
Together their combined knowledge of nutrition offers exceptional personalised programmes. They combine a unique approach to Nutritional Therapy – scientific nutrition expertise and psychological behavioural expertise blended together to educate, change and support their patients’ relationships with food, positively and permanently.
“When I was asked to gather a group of diabetes and endocrinology consultants at OneWelbeck, I focused on choosing ﬁrst-rate teaching-hospital clinicians. I also chose partners who I knew were accurate and eﬃcient in communicating with both their patients and medical colleagues. This is the basis of our collaboration within OneWelbeck to provide matchless and easily-accessible specialist care.”Professor S L Chew