Find information on how we’re keeping you safe from COVID-19 here
Areas of Expertise
Dr Vanderpump’s expertise includes the following conditions;
- Benign thyroid conditions including autoimmune thyroid disease
- Thyroid nodules and the management of thyroid cancer
- Thyroid disease in fertility and pregnancy
- Adolescent thyroid disease
- Pituitary conditions, including acromegaly and Cushing’s syndrome
- Adrenal disorders, including Addison’s disease
- Calcium and bone disorders including hyperparathyroidism and osteoporosis
- Reproductive endocrinology including polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and hyperprolactinaemia
- Endocrine impact of new immunotherapies
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Treatment of diabetes as a complication of pancreatic surgery and cancer treatment.
Dr Mark Vanderpump MB ChB MD FRCP trained in general medicine and endocrinology, completing his MD in 1995.
His training took him to NHS posts in the West Midlands, North East England and North Staffordshire and included clinical responsibilities for the development of endocrinology and diabetes services.
He was appointed consultant at the North Middlesex Hospital NHS Trust in 1996, and then Consultant Endocrinologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer at the Royal Free Hospital NHS Trust, in 1999, where he continued his NHS career until he retired to move into full-time private practice.
Dr Vanderpump was awarded FRCP (London) in 2001.
During his 30-year career with the NHS, he took on many senior roles, including:
- Clinical Director for Medical Specialties including Out-Patient Services 2005-2006.
- Society for Endocrinology representative on RCP Joint Speciality Committee for Endocrinology and Diabetes Mellitus from 2012- 2016.
- UK representative of the International Council for the Control of the Iodine Deficiency Disorders and Founder member of UK Iodine Group.
- President of the British Thyroid Association 2014-2017.
Dr Mark Vanderpump is available during the following times:
Monday: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Tuesday: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Wednesday: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Thursday: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Friday: 9.00am – 5.00pm
A consultation with Dr Vanderpump costs the following:
- Initial consultation – up to £325
- Follow up consultation – up to £225
Dr Vanderpump is widely published, and is regularly sought out to feature in the press.
His main research interests have been in epidemiology, clinical thyroid disease, audit and the cost-effectiveness of managing thyroid disease.
Get to know Dr Mark Vanderpump
What attracted you to medicine?
I was always considered a good communicator and team player. Medicine provides the opportunity to pursue a scientific discipline that has a positive impact on people’s lives.
What encouraged you to specialise in your chosen field?
Whilst a junior doctor in Wolverhampton, I was inspired by Simon Walford, a consultant diabetologist who encouraged me to pursue endocrinology as a registrar in Newcastle upon Tyne. My research project and subsequent MD on the Whickham Survey became a definitive study in the epidemiology of thyroid disorders.
What keeps you busy in your personal life?
Supporting my family and West Ham United.