Some common symptoms of IBS include:
- Cramping, especially if it’s completely gone after going to the toilet
- Stomach pain when you’re eating that gets worse after you’ve finished a meal
- Diarrhoea on an intermittent or constant basis, especially after you eat a particular food type
- Constipation and the sensation after a bowel movement that you still need to go to the toilet
- Bloating at seemingly random moments of the day
These symptoms are sometimes referred to as Rome criteria for IBS. If you experience any of them, we recommend you go and see a doctor.