Find information on how we’re keeping you safe from COVID-19 here
Areas of Expertise
Professor Winters specialises in the following areas:
- One-stop rapid diagnosis breast clinic
- Treatment of all types of breast cancers and screen-detected ductal cancer in situ (DCIS)
- Evidence on the effects of HRT (hormone replacement therapy) on breast health and breast density risks
- Treatment of breast pain
- Young onset breast cancer
- Evidence on implant revisions and risks of anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL)
- High-risk genes in families collaborating with leading geneticists
- Testing for individual women’s breast cancer risk scores informing personalised breast screening and types of imaging
- Modern breast surgery using latest localisation techniques for small cancers and sentinel lymph nodes
- Molecular testing of sentinel lymph nodes in theatre
- Quality of life and mental health in breast cancer surgery
Professor Zoe Winters graduated in medicine from the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg South Africa in 1983. Zoe trained in South Africa and was the recipient of a Senior Oxford Nuffield Research Scholarship to do her PhD in the Molecular biology of cancer at the University of Oxford under a world leading Professor in Breast Oncology. Professor Winters became a Consultant academic Breast Cancer Surgeon at the University of Bristol in 2000 and was the Director of the Breast Cancer Surgery and Patient-centred Outcomes Research Group and Quality of Life for 10 years. Professor Winters has worked in several leading UK Teaching NHS Hospitals since 2016. Professor Winters became a Professor of Breast Surgery in 2017 at University College London. Zoe is an Honorary Consultant breast Surgeon at Kingston Hospital NHS Trust working closely with Royal Marsden colleagues in Plastic surgery, Genetics and Oncology. Professor Winters is now engaged in full time private practice in London and is the CEO of London Breast Health.
Professor Winters has written over 70 peer-reviewed publications.
- International multidisciplinary expert panel consensus on breast reconstruction and radiotherapy. – Nava MB, Benson JR, Audretsch W, Blondeel P, Catanuto G, Clemens MW, Cordeiro PG, De Vita R, Hammond DC, Jassem J, Lozza L, Orecchia R, Pusic AL, Rancati A, Rezai M, Scaperrotta G, Spano A, Winters ZE, Rocco N. Br J Surg. 2019 Sep;106(10):1327-1340. doi: 10.1002/bjs.11256. Epub 2019 Jul 18.
- Quality of life after breast reconstruction-the BRIOS study. – Winters ZE, Khajuria A.Lancet Oncol. 2018 Nov;19(11): e579. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30709-5. Epub 2018 Nov 1.
- Opportunities and priorities for breast surgical research. – Cutress RI, McIntosh SA, Potter S, Goyal A, Kirwan CC, Harvey J, Francis A, Carmichael AR, Vidya R, Vaidya JS, Fairbrother P, Benson JR, Reed MWR; Association of Breast Surgery Surgical Gap Analysis Working Group.Lancet Oncol. 2018 Oct;19(10):e521-e533. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30511-4. Epub 2018 Oct 1.
- Systematic review of the impact of breast-conserving surgery on cancer outcomes of multiple ipsilateral breast cancers. – Winters ZE, Horsnell J, Elvers KT, Maxwell AJ, Jones LJ, Shaaban AM, Schmid P, Williams NR, Beswick A, Greenwood R, Ingram JC, Saunders C, Vaidya JS, Esserman L, Jatoi I, Brunt AM.BJS Open. 2018 May 22;2(4):162-174. doi: 10.1002/bjs5.53. eCollection 2018 Aug.
- Surgical treatment of multiple ipsilateral breast cancers. – Winters ZE, Benson JR; MIAMI (Multiple Ipsilateral breast conserving surgery versus mastectomy) Trial Management Group.Br J Surg. 2018 Apr;105(5):466-468.
- Contralateral prophylactic mastectomy. – Benson JR, Winters ZE.Br J Surg. 2016 Sep;103(10):1249-50. doi: 10.1002/bjs.10223. Epub 2016 Jul 28.
You can see the full list of Professor Winters’ publications by clicking on this link.
Awards & accolades