Find information on how we’re keeping you safe from COVID-19 here
Areas of Expertise
Dr Nowlan Selvapatt regularly performs a range of treatments, including:
Some of the common conditions he treats are:
- Liver Disease & Fatty Liver Disease
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Stomach Ulcers
- Viral Hepatitis
- Primary Billiary Cholangitis (PBC)
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
Dr Selvapatt has published numerous research papers and original research in peer review journals:
- In-hospital mortality is associated with inflammatory response in NAFLD patients admitted for COVID-19. 2020 PLoS One.
- Effect of COVID-19 lockdown on alcohol consumption in patients with pre-existing alcohol use disorder. 2020 Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol
- Guidelines for the screening, care and treatment of persons with chronic hepatitis C infection. World Health Organization 2016; ISBN: 978 92 4 154961 5 (guideline writer)
- Liver decompensation and Acute on Chronic Liver Failure. Liver Disease in Clinical Practice (Springer) – ISBN 978-3-319-43126-0
- Is antenatal screening for hepatitis C virus cost-effective? A decade’s experience at a London centre. 2015 Journal of hepatology
- Early diagnosis and treatment: the goal of hepatitis C screening 2015 British Medical Journal (BMJ)
- Abdominal pain and weight loss: an uncommon outcome to a common referral. 2012 Frontline Gastroenterol
Get to know Dr Selvapatt..
What keeps you busy in your personal life?
Young family with two children, cycling, squash and when time permits watching live sport
Why should I worry about my liver tests if I feel ok?
Liver disease is common, but in a few it can progress with time to chronic complications. Early diagnosis (generally when most people have no or very little symptoms) is the key to preventing future ill health.
What is the best test to examine my liver?
Unfortunately there is no one perfect test. Liver medicine is like a jigsaw and it requires piecing together different pieces of information by someone skilled at their interpretation
What is a FibroScan?
Liver blood tests are useful but imperfect at characterising chronic liver damage. A FibroScan is a quick and painless scan that provides information about the probability of chronic scarring of the liver and fat content. It’s widespread introduction has helped reduced the need for liver biopsy.
Why choose to see Dr Nowlan Selvapatt?
Dr Selvapatt is a leading hepatologist who manages general and complex liver disease. He is committed to providing up-to date evidence based and personalised care.