This service or treatment is generally covered by most health insurance policies. You are responsible for checking your insurance policy cover, and you may need a referral letter. Check which insurance companies are covered.
A saline sonogram is a procedure to evaluate the uterus and the shape of the uterine cavity. Saline sonogram uses ultrasound and sterile fluid to show the uterus and endometrial (uterine lining) cavity. The ovaries are also seen at the time of the procedure. The purpose is to detect any abnormalities.
Typically, your consultant will recommend a saline sonogram if you:
- Had an ultrasound that was inconclusive and more views are needed
- Struggle with infertility
- Have pelvic pain
- Have two or more miscarriages in a row
- Abnormal menstrual cramps
- Will be having IVF treatment
- Experience irregular or heavy and they are considering polyps or fibroids postmenopausal bleeding