Areas of Expertise
Dr David Orton performs a range of of treatments including:
Dr Orton regularly contributes to ongoing research projects coordinated by the British Society of Cutaneous Allergy. He is the author of a dermatology textbook, and has contributed multiple chapters to other general dermatology and specialist allergy textbooks.
- Book Chapter Allergic Contact Dermatitis in Rook’s Textbook of Dermatology 10th eds C Griffiths, J Barker, T Bleiker, R Chalmers, D Creamer 2021
- Book Chapter: management of contact urticaria through clinical cases
Contact Urticaria Eds Ana Gimenez-Arnau & Howard Maibach, Springer, 2018
- Several Chapters in Common Contact Allergens – a practical guide to detecting contact dermatitis.
Eds McFadden , J, Puangpet P, et al, Wiley Blackwell 2020 ISBN 9781119405665
- Wilkinson M, Gonçalo M, Aerts O, Badulici S, Bennike NH, Bruynzeel D, Dickel H, Garcia-Abujeta JL, Giménez-Arnau AM, Hamman C, Isaksson M, Johansen JD, Mahler V, Niklasson B, Orton D, Pigatto P, Ponyai G, Rustemeyer T, Schuttelaar MLA, Spiewak R, Thyssen JP, Uter W. The European baseline series and recommended additions: 2019. Contact Dermatitis. 2019 Jan;80(1):1-4. Review.
- Wilkinson M, Orton D. Acrylate allergy: time to intervene. Contact Dermatitis; 2017 ; 77:353-355.
After training in General Dermatology David developed a sub-specialist interest in eczema, contact dermatitis and skin allergy. He soon became aware that many patients requiring investigations into skin allergy had other features of allergic disease. He therefore undertook further General Allergy training so that he could provide a holistic approach to his patients, and one point of reference for their investigation and treatment.
During his elected roles as Secretary of the European Society of Contact Dermatitis and President of the British Society of Cutaneous Allergy he is credited with forging links between Dermatologists and the cosmetics industry. This has allowed for constructive dialogue over issues directly affecting consumers and continues to generate ongoing clinical Research.
David has been a member of several ESCD working parties and the EAACI Paediatric task force on patch testing in children. He was also an invited contributor to the House of Lords Inquiry into Allergy.