Find information on how we’re keeping you safe from COVID-19 here
Areas of Expertise
Professor Dame Regan specialises in the following areas:
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Uterine fibroids
- Benign gynaecology
- Early pregnancy
Having graduated from the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, London, in 1980 Lesley pursued her career at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, where she first became enthused by clinical and laboratory research, completing an MD on miscarriage. Professor Dame Regan combines her clinical and research work on recurrent miscarriage and uterine fibroids with a passion for communicating to the wider public, writing two successful books on miscarriage and pregnancy for the general reader and presenting a series of eight BBV ‘Horizon’ documentaries. In 2015 she received an Honorary Fellowship of the American College and a Doctorate of Science from University College London for the contribution to women’s health.
Professor Dame Regan was awarded a DBE for services to women’s health in the 2020 New Year’s Honours List.
Professor Dame Lesley Regan is Secretary General of the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) and the Immediate Past President (2016-2019) of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, only the second woman to ever hold this role and the first in sixty-four years. She co-chairs the Women’s Health Taskforce with Caroline Dinenage MP.
Head of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at St Mary’s Hospital campus, Imperial College London, Professor Dame Regan is also director of Women’s Health Research Centre, PI of the Recurrent Miscarriage Tissue Bank and co-director of the UK Pregnancy Baby Bio Bank. Professor Regan is the Department of Metabolism, Digestion and Reproduction co-chair of the People and Culture Committee (Athena SWAN).
Professor Dame Regan is also Chair of CHARM – the Charity for Research into Miscarriage and Chair of Wellbeing of Women (WoW).
Professor Dame Regan has achieved multiple publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Devall AJ, Gallos ID, Khalaf Y, et al., 2020, Re: Effect of progestogen for women with threatened miscarriage: a systematic review and meta-analysis, Bjog-an International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Vol:127, ISSN:1470-0328, Pages:1303-1304
- Coomarasamy A, Devall AJ, Brosens JJ, et al., 2020, Micronized vaginal progesterone to prevent miscarriage: a critical evaluation of randomized evidence, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vol:223, ISSN:0002-9378, Pages:167-176
- Makins A, Arulkumaran S, 2020, The negative impact of COVID-19 on contraception and sexual and reproductive health: Could immediate postpartum LARCs be the solution?, International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, Vol:150, ISSN:0020-7292, Pages:141-143
- Bourne T, Shah H, Falconieri N, et al., 2019, Burnout, well-being and defensive medical practice among obstetricians and gynaecologists in the UK: cross-sectional survey study, Bmj Open, Vol:9, ISSN:2044-6055
- Demetriou C, Chanudet E, GOSgene, et al., 2019, Exome sequencing identifies variants in FKBP4 that are associated with recurrent fetal loss in humans, Human Molecular Genetics, Vol:28, ISSN:0964-6906, Pages:3466-3474