Find information on how we’re keeping you safe from COVID-19 here
Areas of Expertise
Dr Tench a range of conditions, including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Back and Neck Pain
- Reactive arthritis
- Early inflammatory arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Sjögren’s syndrome
Dr Tench is an expert in joint and soft tissue injections. He also provides NICE approved osteoporosis treatments including IV Zolendronate and denosumab as well as rituximab for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
Dr Colin Tench (MB BChir, MA, MD, FRCP) was awarded his Medical Degree from Cambridge University and completed his training in Rheumatology at University College London Hospitals and the Hammersmith Hospital.
During his 3-year research MD, Dr Tench was awarded St. Bartholomew’s Hospital Clinical Research Fellowship and was appointed as a Junior Clinical Fellow for the Arthritis Research Campaign. His research focused on the effects of aerobic exercise on fatigue and sleep quality in patients in Lupus and he published a number of papers in high impact peer reviewed journals.
In 2003, Dr Tench was appointed as a Consultant Rheumatologist at St Mary’s Hospital in London, where he still works today. He has an extensive general rheumatology practice with expertise in treating a wide variety of rheumatic diseases. He has a specialist interest in lupus and other connective tissue diseases and is referred patients from all over the world with complex multi system disease.
Alongside his clinical work, Dr Tench has taken an active role in the training and education of junior doctors and has held positions as the Royal College of Physicians Tutor and Programme Director for Foundation Training.
Dr Tench has been widely published in many peer viewed journals such as the following:
1. Tench CM, Clunie G, Peacock A, Dacre JD. An insight into Rheumatology Resources available on the World Wide Web. British Journal of Rheumatology 1998; 37: 1233-1235
2. CM.Tench & DA. Isenberg. The variation in anti-ENA characteristics between different ethnic populations with SLE over a 10 year period. Lupus 2000; 9: 374-376
3. CM.Tench, I. McCurdie, PD. White, DP. D’Cruz. The prevalence and associations of fatigue in SLE. Rheumatology 2000;39(11):1249-1254
4. CM.Tench, DJ. Bentley, VE. Vleck, I. McCurdie, PD. White, DP. D’Cruz. Aerobic fitness, fatigue and physical disability in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. J. Rheumatology 2002;29: 474-81
5. Karim MY. Miranda LC. Tench CM. Gordon PA. D’Cruz DP. Khamashta MA. Hughes GR. Presentation and prognosis of the shrinking lung syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus. Seminars in Arthritis & Rheumatism. 31(5):289-98, 2002 Apr.
6. CM. Tench, I. McCurdie, J. McCarthy, PD. White, DP. D’Cruz. A randomised controlled trial of aerobic exercise on fatigue in SLE. Rheumatology 2003 42: 1050-1054
1. Tench CM, Clunie G, Peacock A, Dacre JD. An insight into Rheumatology Resources available on the World Wide Web. Reply to McNally et al and Armstrong et al. Rheumatology 1999;38:1029.
Get to Know Dr Tench
OneWelbeck provides an opportunity to deliver a first-class rheumatology service with quick and easy access to MRI and ultrasound imaging and excellent links to experts in orthopaedics and other specialities.Dr Colin Tench
What keeps you busy in your personal life?
When not spending time with his family, Dr Tench enjoys playing golf and tennis