Find information on how we’re keeping you safe from COVID-19 here
What is a CPET test?
A cardiopulmonary exercise test is a detailed evaluation of exercise performance assessing heart, lung and muscle function. Using ECG, blood pressure, ventilation, breathing pattern and frequency via a face mask, oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production and oxygen saturations provides a complete picture of all the organs involved in the exercise response. It requires dedicated and trained staff performing the tests on a regular basis and a physician with experience in reporting the final dataset.
The test is used for multiple purposes including
- Evaluation of exercise / athletic performance
- Evaluation of undiagnosed exercise intolerance, looking for cardiac versus respiratory limitation
- Evaluation of patients with cardiovascular diseases
- Evaluation of patients with respiratory disease/symptoms
- Pre-operative evaluations
- Exercise evaluation of prescription for pulmonary rehabilitation
- Evaluation of impairment / disability
- Evaluation for lung, heart, and heart lung transplantation
Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing Device