Dr Hiva Fassihi graduated from the University of Cambridge and undertook dermatology training at St John’s Institute of Dermatology, Guy’s and St Thomas’ London between 2003 – 2011.
This training included 3 years as a clinical research fellow working with the national epidermolysis bullosa service in where her research has led to numerous publications in highly regarded journals and presentations at both national and international dermatology and scientific meetings.
She was made an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer at King’s College, London in 2017.
Dr Hiva Fassihi has achieved multiple publications in peer-reviewed journals:
- Lehmann AR, Fassihi H. Molecular analysis directs the prognosis, management and treatment of patients with xeroderma pigmentosum. DNA Repair (Amst). 2020 Sep;93:102907.
- Cohen JI, Manoli I, Dowdell KC, Krogmann TA, Tamura D, Radecki P, Bu W, Turk SP, Liepshutz K, Hornung RL, Fassihi H, Sarkany RP FRCP, Bonnycastle LL, Chines PS, Swift AJ, Myers TG, Levoska MA, DiGiovanna JJ, Collins FS, Kraemer KH, Pittaluga S, Jaffe ES. Hydroa vacciniforme-like lymphoproliferative disorder: an EBV disease with a low risk of systemic illness in Caucasians. Blood. 2019 Jun 27;133(26):2753-2764.
- Momen S, Fassihi H, Davies HR, Nikolaou C, Degasperi A, Stefanato CM, Dias JML, Dasgupta D, Craythorne E, Sarkany R, Papa S, Nik-Zainal S. Dramatic response of metastatic cutaneous angiosarcoma to an immune checkpoint inhibitor in a patient with xeroderma pigmentosum: whole-genome sequencing aids treatment decision in end-stage disease. Cold Spring Harb Mol Case Stud. 2019 Oct 23;5(5):a004408.
- Phan K, Ramachandran V, Fassihi H, Sebaratnam DF. Comparison of Narrowband UV-B With Psoralen-UV-A Phototherapy for Patients With Early-Stage Mycosis Fungoides: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Dermatol. 2019 Mar 1;155(3):335-341.
- Fityan A, McGibbon D, Fassihi H, Sarkany RS. Paediatric solar urticaria: a case series. Br J Dermatol. 2018 Jun;178(6):1453-1454.
- Chee SN, Novakovic L, Fassihi H, Garibaldinos T, Sarkany R. Chronic actinic dermatitis: successful treatment with psoralen-ultraviolet A photochemotherapy. Br J Dermatol. 2018 Mar;178(3):e189-e190.
- Fassihi H, Sethi M, Fawcett H, Wing JF, Chandler N, Mohammed S, Craythorne E, Morley ANS, Lim R, Turner S, Henshaw T, Garrood I, Giunti P, Hedderly T, Abiona A, Naik H, Harrop G, McGibbon D, Jaspers NG, Botta E, Nardo T, Stefanini M, Young AR, Sarkany RPE, Lehmann AR. Deep phenotyping of 89 xeroderma pigmentosum patients reveals unexpected heterogeneity dependent on the precise molecular defect. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Mar 1;113(9):E1236-45.
- Kashiyama K, Nakazawa Y, Pilz DT, Guo C, Shimada M, Sasaki K, Fawcett H, Wing JF, Lewin SO, Carr L, Li TS, Yoshiura K, Utani A, Hirano A, Yamashita S, Greenblatt D, Nardo T, Stefanini M, McGibbon D, Sarkany R, Fassihi H, Takahashi Y, Nagayama Y, Mitsutake N, Lehmann AR, Ogi T. Malfunction of nuclease ERCC1-XPF results in diverse clinical manifestations and causes Cockayne syndrome, xeroderma pigmentosum, and Fanconi anemia. Am J Hum Genet. 2013 May 2;92(5):807-19.
Get to know Dr Hiva Fassihi..
What keeps you busy in your personal life?
- My family – husband who is a transplant surgeon and two sons
- Sport – tennis, netball, cycling, running, skiing
- Charity work with XP support group