Find information on how we’re keeping you safe from COVID-19 here
Areas of Expertise
Some of the conditions Miss Walters commonly treats are:
- All aspects of breast problems
- Family history of breast disease
- The effects of HRT on breast tissue
- The management of breast pain
- The early diagnosis and management of breast cancer
- Breast feeding problems and breast problems in childhood and adolescence
Ms. Tena Walters (MBBS FRCS MS) qualified from the Medical College of St Bartholomew’s Hospital in 1983.
She was appointed Lecturer in Anatomy, and subsequently lecturer in Surgery on the Professorial Surgical Unit at Barts where she completed an MS thesis studying smooth muscle cell proliferation. She has worked in Breast Test Wales and in the Royal National Hospital of Wales, the Heath Cardiff.
In 1996 she was appointed as a Consultant in Breast and Colorectal Surgery at Queen Mary’s Hospital Sidcup and became Lead Clinician of the Breast Unit in 1998 and Lead Clinician in Oncology in 2002. In the same year she was nominated for the Hospital Doctor of the year award and gained proxime accessit in the oncology category.
- Open access Mammography. The Lancet 1988 August 6th :336. AK Banerjee TK Walters MBurke
- Fine Needle Aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis and management of fibroadenoma of the breast British Journal of Surgery 1990;77(11):1215-7) TK Walters J Zucherman Y Chia M Burke
- Periprosthetic tuberculous breast infection. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine November 2003;96 (11) 556-557 G Miles TK Walters CD Sheen
- An evaluation of the accuracy of imprint cytology of core biopsy. European Journal of Surgical Oncology 2002:28 number 3 327 DR Cheetham Jenny Aps TK Walters M Khan
- The Ladycare Device: A novel treatment for the management of menopausal symptoms .European Journal of Surgical Oncology 2017:43 number 5 S59
- Thrombin generation following arterial injury is a critical initiating event in the pathogenesis of the proliferative stages of the atherosclerotic process .Journal of Vascular Research 1994;31(3):173-177 TK Walters DA Gorog RFM Wood
- Low dose aspirin fails to inhibit increased platelet reactivity in patients with peripheral vascular disease. British Journal of Surgery 1993;80 (10):1266-1269 ]. TK Walters DC Mitchell RFM Wood
- Male mammary fistula complicating senescent gynaecomastia. Breast Journal Vol 10 Issue 3 2004 Page 237G Dennison T Kan TK Walters R Reyes.
Getting to know Miss Walters
Why did you choose to become a part of OneWelbeck?
OneWelbeck is a dynamic and forward thinking organization, which has selected expert clinicians in order to allow them to lead in decision making and provision of care.
Everyone involved is aiming for excellence, which is in keeping with my philosophy.
What are the moments which stand out most in your career so far?
As lecturer in anatomy and then lecturer in surgery at Barts I was tempted by an academic career. I loved research, won the Bard surgical scholarship and published papers with people who are now professors. Pushing back the boundaries of knowledge was exciting, but then I worked on the breast unit at Northwick Park and loved the multidisciplinary and academic aspects of the specialty. In the earliest days of adjuvant chemotherapy I administered and calculated the doses, as the surgical registrar! Now my outstanding moments are every time I see a beautiful breast reconstruction or patients who are well decades after their treatment for breast cancer. We work as a team and I enjoy my role in that.
What keeps you busy in your personal life?
Kids, animals, home, travel, friends, I ride horses, I ski, during lockdown I even started painting again. I also love podcasts and have recently contributed to the All About Doctors podcast, which you can listen to here.
I wanted to thank you so much, not just for the lifesaving surgery but for your empathy and chat as well. You are truly professional and such good company and I felt so much better after seeing you on Friday
Patient of Miss Walters